Thursday, October 02, 2008

Show Me The Money!

Last month I read an article about a guy who decided to completely stop spending money for a week. The idea grabbed my attention since we have been talking around here about our October series on money. Heart to Heart is also doing a piece on money management. At home we are trying to simplify and consolidate our banking (planning to enter the wonderful world of on-line banking). So I have been thinking about money quite a bit.

The idea of a spending "fast" has really intrigued me, so as of yesterday, I began my one week of spending no money. Zero dollars and zero cents. When I first thought about doing this I figured I would buy a trunkful of groceries, get the car gassed up, and maybe have a little recreational shopping trip to Target, just to get prepared for all the non-spending I would do in the next seven days. However, life got busy and I never did any of that. And I am already feeling the effects of poor planning.

Last night was our first life group meeting. I wish I could tell you that I was so taken with the new spending fast that I chose not to go to the store and get food for our first-of-the-season-these-people-have-never-been-in-my-house-before-life-group. But, honestly, I just didn't want to go to the store. So I scrounged, a practice I expect to get more familiar with in the coming week. I found some really nice strawberries in the refrigerator, invented "punch" from a bottle of Squirt and some secret ingredients; but my real coup was some crackers on a cute little plate served with a spread made from half a container of cream cheese and a glob of forgotten gourmet cranberry mustard (surprisingly good).

So far, so good. I think it will be interesting to see how this little project impacts me. I am not a big shopper, but I will admit that there are times when I look into my empty wallet and wonder where the money went. It seems like it sort of melts away sometimes. But at least for today, I will be able to show you the money: it is still in my wallet. Now, I wonder if there are anymore of those crackers left for lunch...I'll keep you posted.

No comments: