Saturday, October 04, 2008

Money and Kids

My spending fast continues. I have spent no money since Wednesday afternoon. I am surprised at how often I think about NOT spending money. Little things like cruising by Starbuck's on my way to church, or stopping by the grocery store on the way home are on hold for now.

So far the hardest thing has been not spending money on kids. We are trying to "train up a child in the way he [or she] should go" by taking our grandaughters to Kelso football games. As part of the bribery...I mean training...we buy them popcorn for the game. Well, this past Friday night I could not buy any. We usually buy two bags, one to eat, and one to spill, and that has worked out well. I felt like a real cheapskate when someone else volunteered to go to the concession stand and get the poor deprived girls their football treat. As it turned out, the popcorn was about the only good thing about Kelso football that night.

And then there is the whole half done birthday gift. A little friend has an October birthday and I had found a good start to a gift a couple of weeks ago, bought it, and planned to add something snazzy to the very practical item I had gotten. Alas, I did not get it done before the big spending fast kicked in. Now I am left with the option of cheating and buying something extra, giving just the practical part and hoping she is OK with that, or trying to find something around the house to add on. Do you think some re-gifted tealights would fill the bill?

Not spending is more complicated than I thought it would be!

No comments: