Friday, March 14, 2014

Why Pray?


Thirty-seven people joined in a 24-hour marathon of prayer for the health, welfare and future of our church and our nation late last month. Why did we pray? The House asked five participants for their “take” on the Call to Prayer and their personal commitment to pray:





Kevin Brown:
I pray for God’s blessings on the Church to strengthen our unity as brothers and sisters in Christ. I feel it’s important because there are many things that may distract us from this unity.

Laurie Lewellen
Being a part of seeking the Lord together and praying for one another, our church, city and the world around us has helped me to remember to pray for some things I have not been praying for. It has made me so thankful that we have a faithful God who loves and cares for each one of us. As I was praying God helped me to realize how powerful unified prayer is, how it is His desire for us to come to Him and depend on Him and His Power for everything! And when we do this even thou the world around us may be in turmoil, He gives us peace in our hearts. One of my favorite scriptures sums this all up: Philippians 4:6-7. “Don't worry about anything instead pray about everything. Tell God what you need and thank Him for all He has done. If you do this you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.”

Amy and Danny Guartuche
We were so blessed to have the opportunity to participate in this unique time of prayer. Especially after attending the kickoff event Friday evening, we felt like even though we would just be praying at home, 

"we were really joining together with our EHA family to bring some requests before God."

While we enjoyed our hour of prayer, it was also encouraging to remember throughout that 24-hour span that others in the church were praying as well.
One thing that God emphasized for us during this time is that while He welcomes our requests, He also wants our praise! As part of our prayer time we read through some of the praise psalms, such as Psalm 146 and 148, and just enjoyed what they had to say about how great our God is.

Janet Heinz
I chose to participate in the 24-hour prayer event because I am excited to see EHA branch out and because a few years back the verse 2 Chronicles 7:14 stood out to me as a command and a promise: “If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” So I ask God that EHA will be ready and willing to launch the plan God has in mind. 

No comments: