Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Daily Bible Reading

Several years ago I shamefully realized that I found time to read the paper every day but not my Bible. With fresh determination I canceled my subscription to The Daily News. and purchased a read-through-the-Bible-in-a-year Bible – it also happened to be in chronological order. I jumped in to whatever day it was in the year and read daily. That was the beginning of a habit I have continued ever since. I’ve lost track of how many years I’ve been doing this. Ironically, late in 2012 I thought I would take a break at the end of this year and maybe do some topical studies or some other kind of devotion. Then Nick announced that we would be reading through a yearly chronological Bible as a church body and it wasn’t too hard to figure out that God was telling me not to give up my daily reading.

Every day I get up 15 minutes earlier than I need to in order to have time to do my daily reading. Now before you spit out your coffee and call me names, I realize not everyone is a morning person. This is just what works for me. My husband (bless his night owl heart) does much better just staying at the table after dinner when he has something to accomplish.

Why do I continue to do this day after day? There are several reasons. The most basic is that it’s the right thing to do. How often have I told my kids, “Do the right thing even if it’s not the easy thing?” If I am a Christian, then God should be the most important thing in my life. How can I be a Christ follower if I don’t know what Christ says? Granted there are parts of the Bible that I know better than others and there are parts that are quite honestly tedious to read. However you can’t only have dessert; you must have your vegetables too. The Bible says that all Scripture is important so I read all Scripture. (This is where I channel my stubborn side into something positive.) I truly love starting my day in God’s Word. It keeps me focused. By starting every day with the most important thing in my life, it doesn’t really matter what happens the rest of the day. Each time I read I try to learn something new. I love how we have been focusing on the Old Testament as a foreshadowing of Christ. There are so many things to learn within these pages and since I continue to make mistakes I know I must continue to learn.

I will close with some encouragement from the greatest source of inspiration. Psalm 112:1 “Blessed are those who fear the Lord, who find great delight in his commands.”  Psalm 115:13-16 “he will bless those who fear the Lord – small and great alike. May the Lord cause you to flourish, both you and your children. May you be blessed by the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.”

Go get your Bible and start reading because Galatians 6:9 tells us “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”

Jennifer Sharer

No comments: