Thursday, March 08, 2012

Intentionality - I can really identify with those sleepy disciples! by Mary Hagle

Mark 14:36-38

36And He was saying, Abba, [which means] Father, everything is possible for You. Take away this cup from Me; yet not what I will, but what You [will].

37And He came back and found them sleeping, and He said to Peter, Simon, are you asleep? Have you not the strength to keep awake and watch [with Me for] one hour?

38Keep awake and watch and pray [constantly], that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. Amplified Bible



I long for purpose and direction. I want it to matter, that I’ve been here. I get some clarity, and the excitement of confirmation. He DOES has a plan for my life! I share my insights with a trusted friend or two, and look for confirmation in my daily study and walk, and get it.

I make plans around His plan, and I have my marching orders. And then, the work phase comes. (I am remembering Chevy Chase in "Funny Farm". He is a newspaper sports writer who takes an advance on his unwritten novel, quits the newspaper, and moves to Vermont with his wife.

There are a lot of hilarious scenes as they try to "settle in" but let me fast-forward to his having done all the busyness of setting up his writing space in his new home. The desk is by the window; all the pencils are sharpened, the paper is in the typewriter.)


And then, the work phase comes.

The inspiration and excitement to begin is done. It’s just me, God, and the task He’s given me. And, my rebellious will sets its proverbial feet, and doesn’t want to do the work, or pray for "dunamis" (from dunamai = to be able, to have power.) It refers to intrinsic power or inherent ability, the power or ability to carry out some function, the potential for functioning in some way (power, might, strength, ability, capability), the power residing in a thing by virtue of its nature, or be obedient.
I find a myriad of "other" "good" tasks, and get them done. Then, I meet with my friend, who knows about my assignment, asks about my progress, and I am undone.

J. Hudson Taylor affirmed this axiom for every Christian worker... "Depend upon it. God's work done in God's way will never lack supplies. All God's giants have been weak men who did great things for God because they reckoned on His being with them. God uses men who are weak and feeble enough to lean on Him."

So, there’s nothing for it but to press forward, to acknowledge my weakness and rebelliousness, and fall helplessly before Him, ask forgiveness, and get over the fact that trying to do work inspired by Him is NEVER going to be done well in my power and strength, but His.

If you are facing a similar circumstance, my prayer for you is that you get alone with Him, restore the right order of this process, and find yourself here: The Lord God is my strength,
and he will make my feet like Hinds’ Feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine High Places. Habakkuk 3:19

Like the disciples, we have available God’s power to be used for His glory and purpose. I am determined to be intentional in the opportunities I have been given. Google dunamis . . . there are 37 pages of description at this website of what God’s power means for the Christian: http://www.preceptaustin.org/2_timothy_17.htm

Mary Hagle

Editor,
The House

We grow as we share.

No comments: